Thursday, February 25, 2010

“The stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap), deep in the heart of…” well, somewhere. I forget how that song goes. Anyway, Cantus was just in Texas! It was a great week, and I’m sure you want to read all about our shenanigans. Well, alright, I’ll tell ya, but I have to say, I don’t appreciate the condescending tone. “Shenanigans”? More like “Adventures” thank you very much.

This is Matt Tintes (baritone) and I just wanted you all to know that Cantus just spent an awesome week in Texas, touring to the cities of Corpus Christi, Houston and San Antonio. We sang in some wonderful spaces and met a lot of wonderful people. People who fed us a LOT of great Mexican food! They say everything’s bigger in Texas. Well, as our waist lines can now attest, they weren’t kidding!

When we’re on tour we stop to eat at all kinds of places, but usually when we’re traveling we just go the places closest to the Interstate. Well in our endeavor to find a, let’s say “Panera”, one day, we came upon an eatery called…are ya ready... “Cantus’”! We sat down and a nice young girl came to wait on us and was wearing a t-shirt that read Cantus’. We asked her if we could get that shirt, and her look of confusion conveyed a sense of “Either y’all have girlie tastes in t-shirts, or that’s the most to-the-point pick up line I’ve heard in a while.” After some hasty explanation we met the owner, Mark Cantu, and he gave us all Cantus’ drink holders, and we gave him a CD. We almost sang for him, but we didn’t want to compete with the Kid Rock album that had been playing…for nearly an HOUR…not that I’m complaining.

When we arrived at our hotel in San Antonio we were greeted by the hotel’s official mascot, Luke the Dog. Luke was a welcome sight for those of us who were missing our pets back in MN, and he was a good dog. A good, good dog. Yes you are! Yes you ARE! You’re a good doggie…

After our matinee performance in San Antonio, myself, Shahzore, Eric, Gary and Paul walked over to look at the Alamo, which was only a few blocks from our hotel. I took a photo of the group in front of the “Shrine to Texas Liberty”, but unfortunately my camera isn’t letting me upload that photo, so here’s one of the façade that I took with my phone. I also took a picture of the interior of the Alamo…which I wasn’t supposed to. Do you SEE what I’m willing to risk for you loyal blog readers?!?

All in all, our Texas trip was a ton of fun! It was great to sing for the people of Texas, and to enjoy the weather. However, regarding the weather, since they started recording weather patterns (125 years ago) it had only snowed in San Antonio 31 times. On our second day, it became 32 times. I SWEAR we didn’t mean to bring it with us!

No comments: